Thursday, October 4, 2012

Curran Becomes Freshman Representative


By Katie Curran, staff reporter 
 On Tuesday, September 25, 2012, the freshman class of 2016 voted to elect their new Freshman Rep. for Student Council.  There were a large number of candidates this year with diverse interests and goals for the position.  Each candidate campaigned through posting signs and meeting and greeting with fellow students.  As far as hard campaigning went, candidates passed our cookies, pens, and candy to prospective voters the day before the election.  Each of the candidates’ campaign statements were posted in the online edition of the Storm Watch Newspaper.
The candidates for the position of freshman representative were as follows: Meghan Borowski, Elizabeth Campbell, Katie Curran, Dan Labbe, Zoe Neal, Chris O’Brien, and Hannah Trelegan.  Each ran unique and strong campaigns.  Among the goals expressed by many of the candidates were: school safety, organizing student events, raising money for dances and field trips, and for a more active student body.
The election results were announced Tuesday afternoon.  I, Katie Curran, am so grateful to be announced the winner as the new Freshman Rep. for our class.  It is such an honor for me and I am looking forward to a great year.  I have a lot of exciting ideas that I hope to implement this year, such as: more social functions to amplify our school spirit.  I look forward to listening to the ideas and concerns of the Freshman Class.
So far, I have talked to many students about the year ahead, and I have created a Facebook page for the grade.  I encourage your input so we can explore a variety of enriching activities.  It was a pleasure meeting so many of you during the campaign.
If you are interested in being part of the Facebook Group, you can become a member of the Sturgis Charter School Class of 2016-East Page. If you don’t have a Facebook, feel free to come up to me in the halls anytime with your concerns.  I am very approachable and can’t wait to talk to you all!
My goal is to create exciting school events that will enhance school wide spirit and increase participation from the entire student body.  I am looking forward to a fantastic year.  Thank you all for your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment