Thursday, October 4, 2012

Camp Burgess Fun for Freshmen

By Khirdra Weisman, staff reporter 



There was mutual excitement as freshmen eagerly waited for their names to be called for their designated buses; the destination: Camp Burgess. As I talked to Katie Curran, Isabella Cantillano, and Patrick Keigans, about what they expected from Camp Burgess, all found the concept of “bonding time” ridiculous. Others were not sure what to expect, as to what sort of activities they would be participating in. Some freshmen were genuinely excited, Sky Kuppig said,”I expect Camp Burgess to be a fun day with friends! Meet new people, bonding time!”. On the bus I asked Jensen Simmons what she expected her day to be like, “I think I will have fun. I am excited about Camp Burgess, but not the climbing trees part. I hope there are many hands on activities. I think I will probably make new friends. I definitely prefer this over an academic day.” To Jensen’s relief, there was no tree climbing involved in our activities. By the time we were doing the beginning activities most people were laughing and having a nice time. We were soon separated into small groups to begin the bonding exercises. Some activities that were done were the spider web course, flipping the tarp, human knot, ninja hide, and keeping the balance. 

All of the games builded communication skills, improved teamwork skills and encouraged thinking in new ways. These activities were fun and engaging; and encouraged communicating with and cooperating with your teammates, qualities that are very much encouraged at Sturgis. Our councilors were extremely nice and helpful and always ensuring that we were having a good time. By lunch time everyone was sitting with their friends and seemed to be in a good mood. I went around and asked what they thought of Camp Burgess so far, many said they found it the good kind of “cheesy”. After lunch we regrouped and squeezed in some past activities. Everyone had a memorable fun day. We ended the day by going to the Harbor and signing the log book and ringing the bell, signifying the beginning of our journey in Sturgis.



No comments:

Post a Comment