Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Student Style Profile: Kameko Simpson

By Skype Kuppig and Isabella Cantillano, staff reporters


Isabella Cantillano: How would you describe your personal style?

Kameko Simpson: I guess I'd say my style is a little everywhere, but I stick with sort of an alternative look. A little rocker, a little feminine, and a little indie depending on how I'm feeling when I get dressed in the morning.

IC: How do you think your personal style reflects your personality? Do you think that how one dresses has to reflect their personality in some way?

KS: I definitely think my style reflects who I am, because I love to be inspired by the world around me and reflect that onto what I wear! I think it depends on the person and whether they choose to use their wardrobe as a way to reflect who they are. Not everyone takes 45 minutes in the morning to pick the perfect top to go with their shoes, but fashion is definitely a great way of self-expression that a lot of people do, even if it’s only to the extent of wearing a silly graphic tee that they might find funny or relatable!

IC: Who are your favorite musicians? Do they influence how you dress?

KS: Music plays a huge part in my life (and listing my favorites if probably the most difficult thing for me to do). There's no doubt about it that the singers and bands I love influence my fashion choices! I've listened to Panic! At the disco and MCR since I was in elementary school and I love the dark vintage (1920's) appeal of Panic! At the Disco and the punk rock feel of MCR. In addition to that, Hayley Williams (lead singer of Paramore) and LIGHTS definitely play a huge role in my wardrobe decisions as they give tough and rocker looks a more feminine spin. From Light's cut off flannels to Hayley Williams’s risky mix and match looks, and Panic! At the Disco’s suspenders and white button down look to MCR'S DIY embellished jean jackets I’m always looking to music and musicians for inspiration!

IC: Do you think that Sturgis has influenced your personal style? Do your friends influence your personal style?

KS: Well, Sturgis is a school full of extremely talented and remarkably individual people. I spend more time at school surrounded by them than I do anyone else, and I love some of the creativity I see in people, and the fearlessness of expression through art and fashion. My friends have helped shape and mold me as a person and that's definitely reflected onto what I wear. In freshmen year I was very into what I saw in magazines, and new and coming trends around the world, but I’m finding more and more inspiration from people I see daily like my friend Lily Haselton with her fierce brightly colored pumps matched with a fun graphic tee, or Jake Conley through his band tees, skinnies, and various rad vests and sweatshirts. The fun part is taking all of that inspiration and mashing it into a look I can call my own!

IC: Who are your style icons?

KS: I've never specifically been one to keep up on celebrities or actresses, though I will say the model Twiggy has always had a place in my heart, with her androgynous look being perfect for the Mod Era. She was something new and fresh and different when she first entered modeling and made a statement. I've also been really drawn to 1970s punk fashion and every time I see a photo of the Sex Pistols’ Sid Vicious with his spiked hair and jackets I’m inspired to basically reconstruct every item in my wardrobe with cone studs and safety pins!

IC: Where do you shop?

KS: I shop everywhere, wherever something catches my eye! I guess you could say I'm a frequent shopper at Pac Sun, H&M and band merch tables at concerts. I’m a huge proponent of thrift store shopping as well; you never know what kind of vintage gem could be hiding in those racks!

IC: Do you have any tips for people that frequently shop at thrift stores?

KS: DIY PROJECTS! If you see something you like but it's ripped or you feel like it’s missing that special something, get creative! You don’t always have to wear things the way they are intended to be worn, and you can always add lace or buttons, chop it up or layer it!

IC: Do you often DIY your clothing? What materials do you usually use?

KS: All the time! Sometimes its little things like taking in the sides of a shirt that’s too large, but I generally love to reconstruct tee shirts by cutting and weaving them and wearing them with different bandeau tops. I've also recently gotten into reconstructing denim vests and jackets, specifically painting back panel pieces for them with fabric paint (of which I've made 3 so far, and am looking forward to later creating and selling some jacket designs!)

IC: What are your favorite movies? Do they influence your style?

KS: I love basically every movie by Tim Burton, and the dark ambiance of his works definitely plays a role in my style choices. Colleen Atwood, who designs for many of his movies, definitely inspires me with her Gothic twists in Sweeney Todd and play with color in Alice in Wonderland. Though the costumes can seem over the top in some cases like with Edward Scissorhands (intense full bodysuit of black and chains), it’s that obtuseness that gives me inspiration to let my imagination take hold when I’m deciding my own outfits!

IC: What are your hobbies? How do they influence your personal style?

KS: I make art, and always like to say that “the world is my canvas and inspiration!” Painting and sketching and working with various styles of mixed media (like collaging) are what I live for! I also couldn’t go a day without singing and have recently taken up piano, and I definitely think art in its various forms have a hold on my style, as fashion itself is art! Sometimes I'll draw something or someone that sparks an idea for an outfit or just an article of clothing, and sometimes it’s the other way around! When playing with colors and shapes and letting myself imagine different people and scenes and scenarios while doing art, I often find those thoughts to influence my appearance!


IC: If you could say one thing to your freshmen self, what would it be?

KS: That's a toughie. I guess I’d say “explore all possibilities.”

IC: When did you start dyeing your hair? How did you make the decision? What inspired you to make that decision?

KS: Change. I needed change. I was happy with my natural color, but I also love red hair, and blue hair, and every color hair really! I wanted to have fun and experiment and the best thing about hair is IT GROWS BACK! I had a bob in 9th grade and it’s already grown out to medium length again. I love changing my hair style and having fun with it, it’s like another accessory! I started dyeing it in sophomore year.

IC: Do you dye your hair yourself, or do you go to a salon?

KS: I’m very much so a “do it yourself” kind of girl, so I just buy dye at CVS or Sally’s Beauty and does it on my own!

IC: Do you have a beauty regimen? What's your philosophy about makeup?

KS: Every person is beautiful, with or without makeup. I think the transforming powers of makeup are amazing and extremely fun to play around with! However, I don’t think it’s made to cover up beauty, only accentuate the face and body! My every day standby has been simple 1950s pinup inspired black cat eyes and red lipstick for quite a while. I love the clean feel of a winged line and the extra pop of color with precise red lips! Occasionally I'll add in some white shadow on the inner tear duct area of my eyes to draw extra attention to them, or use a warm brown shadow base before I line my eyes. I think the main thing to remember with makeup is not to cake it on every day, have fun with it, as I see it as just another artistic medium!

IC: What advice would you give to Sturgis freshmen?

KS: Definitely to own who you are and not be afraid to be you. Try new things! Being a risk taker is part of the IB learner profile, but apply it to more than just school work. In general I can say Sturgis is a pretty accepting place and whether it be through acting, visual arts, sports or fashion, explore every horizon…and have fun doing so!

No comments:

Post a Comment