Tuesday, April 30, 2013

My Home: Boston Strong

By Katie Curran, staff reporter


I was born in Boston. I've grown up with Boston. Boston is my home. I could have never imagined what had happened to my home of Boston in one week.
    It was April 15, 2013 on a bright sunny morning in Boston.  It was the 118th Boston Marathon, where runners from all across the world come together for a friendly competition.  It was planned to be the perfect day with perfect weather and a perfect day of events. But then everything changed at 2:49 pm.
    I remember where I was at that exact second, in our car on our way to Boston, the perfect way to spend our April Vacation. The Boston Marathon had been bombed. Two bombs were set off, killing 3 and injuring 282 innocent victims (according to more recent reports by the Boston Health Commission). At that second, no one knew it was a bomb.  Reports first said it had been a gas explosion, but everyone quickly found out the real news.  No one knew at the time what the next week would consist of in Boston. A whole story would unfold.  
    Everyone was frantic and upset, and no one knew what was going to happen next.  An unrelated fire broke out at the J.F.K museum. The news began to blow up.  Boylston Street was shut down for an ongoing investigation. The FBI and state police went on a search for the Boston bombers.
    I was staying at a hotel in Cambridge when things began to unravel. A Multi-Faith service was held in South Boston for the public and victims. President Barack Obama, along with a variety of other political and religious leaders, spoke to give their condolences to all those affected by the bombings. Luckily, I was able to head home to the Cape before the city went into lock down. On April 18, the FBI released a video of the two bombers. Overnight, a treacherous series of events occurred, resulting in the loss of life of M.I.T. Officer Sean Collier. I woke up to the news stating that the first bomber had been killed and that the second bomber was on the run.  
    I felt as though I was watching something that was out of a movie on tv.  My eyes were glued to the television as the news covered the intense situation all day.  I had never seen anything like it and probably never will again in my life. After the hard work of dedicated officers, Boston’s mind was eased. The second bomber was caught.
    My April vacation consisted of complete utter shock and disbelief.  However, I noticed that there was one thing that always remained in the hearts of the Bostonians: unity. We are Boston Strong. The community of Boston cannot thank the wonderful first responders and officers enough, who quickly jumped into action to save the lives of so many. Their selfless acts will never be forgotten. They ran towards the explosions not knowing what to expect. They ran into an empty city, not knowing what would turn up at each corner. They risked their lives.
    The injured and killed were helpless and innocent, with lives full of so much potential. Three spectators were killed: Krystle Campbell, Lu Lingzi, and Martin Richard.  They will never be forgotten.  
    Many Americans have reached out to help Boston.  Boston has proven to be extremely resilient and strong. The One Fund Boston has been set up to reach out to those affected and has already raised over $25 million in donations. Everyone in our community has made a difference. We are Boston Strong.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment